UK Job Network
Plater ( Heavy Engineering Fabricator)
Working in partnership with a client on Birkenhead Docks, we are currently recruiting a reliable, proven and dedicated Plater / Fabricator. This is a fantastic opportunity to work for an Employer of Choice that offers career progression, training opportunities and great pay (£16.33h – £32.66h).
Shift pattern / Working hours.
Monday – Friday
Mon – Thu 08:00 – 16:30, Fri 08:00 – 14:30
Start date / Duration.
ASAP / 6 months +
· Make jigs for batch production or repetitive tasks.
· Cut and assemble component parts.
· Assemble units, modules, major constructions.
· Tack/ block weld, using MMA, FCAW (qualification as required)
· Safely remove temporary attachments as required and to specification.
· Prepare weld joints to specification prior to welding
· Use pattern development techniques, radial line, parallel line, triangulation as required.
· Fully understand hazards and risks associated with fabricating.
· Follow all health and safety procedure, safe systems of work, approved codes of practice, etc.
· Recognise the various equipment and tools required in fabrication.
· Understand all pre-user checks and risk assessment prior to using tools and equipment.
· To maintain and care for tools and equipment in an appropriate manner.
· Correctly select correct equipment and consumables for task.
· To understand and follow specific welding procedures to produce clean and sound weld, as required.
· A clear understanding of all NDT processes, including MPI, DPI, X-Ray, Ultrasonic testing and how this relates to the welding process, particularly preparation prior to welding.
· To use thermal cutting equipment (oxy-acetylene/ plasma)-
· to use cutting and gauging equipment (air-arc, gauging electrodes)
· Accept that procedures, processes, materials, consumables and techniques may change. Positively and enthusiastically embrace any requirements for up skilling or re-training required by company, client or classification society.
· Accept that it is the plater/ fabricators responsibility to maintain a standard that is required by; weld procedure, company requirements, client’s requirements and classification society requirements.
· To use the most appropriate cutting methods safely, thermal cutting (oxy-acetylene, plasma), cold cutting methods (guillotine, steel worker, cropper, angle grinder, nibbler).
· to use the most appropriate forming and shaping methods safely, (brake press, rollers, fly press, folding machine, angle rollers, pin block, hydraulic jacks).
· Knowledge and understanding of safe lifting methods, rules, regulations including legislation requirements (LOLER)
· The correct choice and safe use of appropriate lifting gear (strops, grabs, shoes, vacuum equipment, magnetic equipment)
· Safe use of wall cranes, overhead cranes and chain blocks (certified).
· Knowledge and understanding of manual handling techniques, Task, Individual, Load, Environment (TILE).
· Knowledge and use of fairing aids, (pad eyes, lifting lugs, toggles, sliders, bridges, strong-backs, wedges, hydraulic jacks/ pulls, vacuum press, chain block, chain pulls, etc.)
· to produce templates for batch production or difficult shapes
What’s in it for you?
· Training opportunities – career progression.
·Employee of the Week award – we recognise and reward hard work!
·Navigate + App:
– Shopping discounts.
– Discounted Gym membership.
– 24/7 GP service.
– Health & Wellbeing support.
– On-line access to payslips and pension information.
The successful candidate:
· Full UK driving licence preferrable
· Welding certification
· NVQ/ City & Guilds Technical Certificate
· Fit with the strength and stamina to complete tasks in very challenging and sometimes inclement conditions
· Good close eye sight, good hand eye co-ordination.
· Proven track record in the marine / steel fabrication / off-shore / petro-chemical or construction with robust understanding of the working conditions to be expected in this industry, including practical experience –
· Highly flexible regarding hours of work, unsocial hours, able to respond to the dynamic demands experienced in the industry.-
· Highly skilled plater/ fabricator with experience of; FCAW, MMA, MIG/ MAG welding processes-
· Experience in thermal cutting processes (oxy-acetylene, plasma)-
· Experience in Air-Arc cutting and gauging
· Experience in cold cutting techniques, grinding and nibbling machines.
· Experience using hand held angle grinders and pencil grinders
· Experience of working at heights.
· Experience of working in confined space.
· Experience of working above water.
· Experience using MEWPs.
· Ability to work from scaffolding
Contract length: 6 months
Register your CV with our partner site cv-library and get noticed by potential employers.